Thursday, January 13, 2005

Princess Is Having A Bad Heir Day


   Taken with Holga Camera, Closeup Filter

Disclaimer... This is a beautiful little girl.

This photo is one of the stranger images I have made of late. This is actually Christmas morning, a sweet little girl, wearing a dressup Princess type thing. Ooof. I have so many people bust my chops for not helping them to look cute, sweet, pretty, thoughtful, etc... but I haven't too often transformed someone into something else entirely. I managed to add twenty years and seven vodka gimlets to this particular image. I hope that her parents will understand and forgive me. They are my best friends - wipes tear - in this whole cruel world - they are saints possessing infinite compassion, I tell you - and I pledge to shower them with nice photos for as long as I might function. Plus, it just might be possible that I have exorcised one drunken evening from their little girl's adult life. It would be curious if our time space continuum could be tapped accidentally by the occasional off-kilter image, through some sort of temporally seeping and slippery instant.

On a different note. My friend Tim Remick has sent me a link to Black Thursday, a website detailing the upcoming protests scheduled for January 20, 2005. Basically, the message is one of discontent with our President and his policies. This morning I heard that the search for Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq has been concluded after two years. And concluded unsuccessfully, it is necessary to add because it was Saddam Hussein's stockpiles of WMD that was cited repeatedly * as our reason for going to war in Iraq. It may not be possible to curb our cantankerous Cowboy-in Chief, after his inexplicable reelection, but maybe an economic boycott will make an impression. Do what you will, but have a look if you have an abiding uneasiness with the state of affairs, both at home and abroad.

* Just a few pre-war Bush administration references to WMD...

"Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction. There is no doubt he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies, and against us." - Vice President Dick Cheney, Aug. 26, 2002.

"After 11 years during which we have tried containment, sanctions, inspections, even selected military action, the end result is that Saddam Hussein still has chemical and biological weapons and is increasing his capabilities to make more." - President Bush, Oct. 7, 2002.

"Saddam Hussein is a man who told the world he wouldn't have weapons of mass destruction, but he's got them." - Bush, Nov. 3, 2002.

"The gravity of this moment is matched by the gravity of the threat that Iraq's weapons of mass destruction pose to the world." - Secretary of State Colin Powell, Feb. 5, 2003.

Also see :

Rathergate vs. Saddam's WMD - A Quantitative Comparison;
brought to you by The Poor Man

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Black Thursday link. Will pass that on to everyone I know.